ASRCM
  Welcome to ASRCM's Forum!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister Windy Weather Milford 102 Cam  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Lawrencetown Slope Fest 2014 (Read 7799 times)
CF Av8or
YaBB Newbies

ASRCM Forum User

East Lawrencetown
Lawrencetown Slope Fest 2014
Jul 28th, 2014 at 9:59am

Back by popular demand is the 2nd Annual Lawrencetown Slope Fest!

Never tried R/C slope soaring before? Well, you don't know what you're missing - so why not come and try it out? Never be grounded from flying due to strong winds ever again - the wind truly is "your friend" in this great facet of R/C.

I'm offering free intro lessons on my 2-meter foamy slope-trainer.  A bonfire-social will take place on Saturday night with overnight camping available at my nearby ocean-view property just a few minutes from the slope.  Details in the attached poster:

IP Logged

FLC astroflyer
Private

MULLIGAN driver

Milford, N.S.
Re: Lawrencetown Slope Fest 2014
Reply #1 - Jul 28th, 2014 at 12:32pm

Jon mentioned this to me last night.  I think you've got him convinced Vic.  Not sure if it's the sloping or the camping but sounds like he's in. Talked about getting a glider before the meet.

Super, just super poster BTW.  who was the talented person who made that one up?

OLDEST AL the walking spellchecker

IP Logged

CF Av8or
YaBB Newbies

ASRCM Forum User

East Lawrencetown
Reply #2 - Jul 29th, 2014 at 2:05pm

Thanks, Al, that was Mary's work on the poster.  She took the picture, from the back door of a Sea King, on the Shearwater Family Day two years ago.  She also snapped one of my slope-soarers and had it photo-shopped into the foreground.

I'm looking forward to introducing Jon to the fun of slope soaring.  I hope you can make it out too.

Cheers,
Vic

IP Logged

C-GARL
Private

ASRCM Forum User

Halifax West
Reply #3 - Jul 29th, 2014 at 8:15pm

I am looking forward to try thst too Vic.
Boy, I can see another plan to my collection. Smiley
o

IP Logged

FLC astroflyer
Private

MULLIGAN driver

Milford, N.S.
Reply #4 - Jul 29th, 2014 at 8:30pm

alain, you and jon can just chuck those big me-109's off the cliff.  They'd look awesome!

IP Logged

CF Av8or
YaBB Newbies

ASRCM Forum User

East Lawrencetown
Reply #5 - Aug 27th, 2014 at 11:29pm

The big event is just days away, so I wanted to remind everyone so you don’t miss it!

Hurricane Cristobal is going to sweep by us in the next two days leaving ideal conditions for the Slope Fest for Saturday (and Sunday too)!  The forecast for Saturday is sunny with light winds in the morning, switching to perfect southwesterlies in the afternoon.  The wind strength will be gradually increasing through the afternoon, which will make for good light-sloper and training conditions earlier and great winds for faster, aerobatic types later in the afternoon.

The conditions look to be even better on Sunday with 15 to 20 knot SW winds all day, so if you haven’t gotten your fix on Saturday, come join many of us who will be flying again on Sunday.

Late breaking news – Maritime Hobbies has sponsored the event by providing a beautiful ARTF scale ASK-21 glider for our event door-prize give-away!!  A second door-prize will also be drawn - a hand-held anemometer – a must-have for the prospective slope soaring pilot!  We will do the draw for the door prizes at approximately 3 pm on Saturday and you have to be present to win.

Lunch will be available on Saturday in the form of hot dogs and corn on the cob.  Pop and water will also be available.  All of this will be provided in return for a donation.

As mentioned in the poster, a BBQ and bonfire social will be held at my West Lawrencetown property (just 7 minutes from the hill) on Saturday evening and all are invited to attend.  Burgers will be provided.  If you would prefer something else, please feel free to bring it along.  You are also welcome to pitch a tent and camp overnight, so that you can enjoy your favourite drink at the social and stick around for more flying on Sunday.  Oh, and bring a light-equipped park-flyer, if you have one, for some after dark fun - I have lots of flying space at my place.

Parking:  Parking is unfortunately extremely limited at the top of the hill, so I would ask everyone to park either at the main Lawrencetown Beach parking lot, or the smaller lot at Stoney Beach (which is the beach immediately before you get to the Lawrencetown Headland (approaching from Dartmouth).  There is parking at MacDonald House, but this is for customers only.  So unless you are going to buy a surfboard or shop in the Heron’s Nest gift shop, you will not be permitted to park there.  If you have a lot of gear, my suggestion is to stop at the tiny parking lot at the top of the hill, unload your vehicle, then drive to one of the other nearby lots to park.

As stated in the poster for the event, I will be providing buddy-box flights on my slope trainer for anyone who needs an intro to slope soaring.  Also, if you don’t happen to have a dedicated sloper to bring, no need to worry.  Almost any plane will fly on the slope!  Be it a warbird model or any sort of sport plane, just pull the prop off and let’er rip!  You’ll be amazed how well it will fly as a glider in slope lift.

If you need more info you can call me on my cel (440-3981).

Hope to see you at the slope!

Vic

IP Logged

Trevor
Private

ASRCM Forum User

Reply #6 - Aug 28th, 2014 at 7:59pm

Going to be a great time guys hope ya all can make it.

IP Logged

FLC astroflyer
Private

MULLIGAN driver

Milford, N.S.
Reply #7 - Aug 28th, 2014 at 8:42pm

Jon and I have gliders especially for this.  looking forward to chucking mine off the precipice!

IP Logged

Trevor
Private

ASRCM Forum User

Reply #8 - Aug 30th, 2014 at 6:11pm

Gteat day on the slope guys. Tanks for commen out!!! And a BIG THANKS to Vic and Mary for the awesome event Grin

IP Logged

CF Av8or
YaBB Newbies

ASRCM Forum User

East Lawrencetown
Reply #9 - Sep 2nd, 2014 at 9:24am

Thank you to all who came and made this a great event and a highlight of Mary's and my summer! A special thanks to our New Brunswick friends for making the long drive to join us for the event again this year. Who will ever forget the spectacular flights of the 1/4 scale Me 109 that they brought along for us to witness.

I would like to thank John and Greg at Maritime Hobbies again for the generous donation of our grand door prize - a beautiful micro ARF ASK-21 glider, won by our resident slope-soaring veteran, John O'Sullivan. Congrats, John!

Thanks as well to everyone who recorded and posted photos and videos of the highlights of the event, in particular Al Eastman who devoted a great deal of his time on Saturday capturing these fun moments.

The biggest thrill for me this weekend was seeing the eyes light up on the many slope-soaring newcomers when they discovered this wonderful facet of r/c for the first time.  I think that they have realized that they need never again be grounded by too much wind.  It was a pleasure giving introductory lessons to quite a number of folks and I hope to see these new converts on the slope again in the future.

Thanks everyone, and lets do it all again next year!

Vic

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print