Send Topic Print
Outrage Velocity N2 (Read 19003 times)
JMiller
Private

Rotor Head

Milford
Re: Outrage Velocity N2
Reply #15 - Jan 13th, 2013 at 9:28pm

Looks good so far Rick.  I like the canopy alot!

IP Logged

RocketManRC
Private

Here's to summer!

Bedford NS
Reply #16 - Jan 14th, 2013 at 12:19pm

I agree Joe, the canopy is awesome and the grommets come pre-installed  Smiley

As I mentioned before, Finless Bob has a series of 24 build videos (along with a discussion thread) on Helifreak which are excellent. The manual is really well done however so the videos are not totally necessary, even for me. LOL.

The videos are for the original version of the Velocity and it's interesting to see the improvements that have been made for the N2. It looks like Outrage listens to its customers and has really refined the design.

In case anyone else is thinking of building one of these here are some links:

http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=178236 (videos)
http://hf.rob.com/showthread.php?s=ce099a2e1260e861511d6e30ec114450&t=219310 (build tips)
https://outragerc.com/manual/Velocity50N2_Manual_V1.0_06-01-12_5.pdf (manual)

Rick MacDonald

IP Logged

RocketManRC
Private

Here's to summer!

Bedford NS
Reply #17 - Jan 19th, 2013 at 4:47pm

What else better to do on a cold and snowy Saturday than continue a heli build?

I finished the head assembly and am about 1/3 way through the frame. There are some really unique design features such as the machined servo mounts and the break-away canopy mounts to protect the frame. I hated changing servos on every other heli I've had but it will be a 5 minute job on this one. That probably means I'll never have to change one. LOL.

The frame construction is all CF and CNC aluminum. It is incredibly light weight. It appears to have been significantly redesigned from the original version.

The head design is really simple for a flybarred heli and of course everything fits together perfectly with not a trace of slop anywhere.

So far, so good!

https://picasaweb.google.com/116122150769096972930/VelocityN2BuildDay2?authkey=G...

Rick MacDonald

IP Logged

FLC astroflyer
Private

MULLIGAN driver

Milford, N.S.
Reply #18 - Jan 19th, 2013 at 4:51pm

that neat bench towel is keeping everything organized and in it's place.  Grin

looks great rick!

OLDEST AL the walking spellchecker

IP Logged

RocketManRC
Private

Here's to summer!

Bedford NS
Reply #19 - Jan 20th, 2013 at 8:40pm

Lots of hours of work for what looks like a little progress... Sad  But once I get to the electronics I'm going to be like a rocket. LOL.

https://picasaweb.google.com/116122150769096972930/VelocityN2BuildDay3?authuser=...

My first complaint about the kit is that I seem to be missing a couple of 3mx8 socket head bolts for the engine bracket mount. It's possible that I used some 8's when I should have used 10's but I've been really careful. I'm going to say that it's the kit and not me.  Cheesy

I'm not in a rush so I'm going to order some stainless steel ones from RQ for the only upgrade so far.

I'm still thinking this heli is as good as it gets right now for a readily available 50 size nitro!

Rick MacDonald

IP Logged

JMiller
Private

Rotor Head

Milford
Reply #20 - Jan 20th, 2013 at 9:35pm

Looking good Rick.  Should be a nice machine and I'm   interested to get a close up look at this one when it's all finished up.

IP Logged

RocketManRC
Private

Here's to summer!

Bedford NS
Reply #21 - Feb 4th, 2013 at 3:29pm

Well the weather's been great for heli building on the weekends and I'm still working on it Smiley

I've put in 3 more full days and I have the servos installed and the head fully setup. It was a lot more work than I thought - as usual.

Yesterday I was working on the tail and torque tube drive and when I was almost done I realized that there were upgrade gears in the kit. Since Velocities have been notorious at stripping tail gears in flight I figured I better swap them out. Then came the challenge of figuring out how to get the gears out of the bearings. There is supposed to be an upgrade document on the Outrage website but it is nowhere to be seen and all I could find on the web was people commenting that the new gears were welcome but no info on installing them. After reading how it was done on other helis (notably the TREX 600N) I devised a tool to push the gears out of their bearings while they were contained in their holders. I didn't have to do any hammering and the bearings seem to be undamaged. I guess it is good to know how to do it which means of course that I will never have to...

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/116122150769096972930/albums/5841174878730942...

Rick MacDonald

IP Logged

JMiller
Private

Rotor Head

Milford
Reply #22 - Feb 4th, 2013 at 4:26pm

That's how I get the torque tube gears free of the bearings as well Rick.  Leave em in the case and push the gear out.  I use an old 600 main shaft as it has the right diameter for the 600n.  To re-install the gear into the bearings I just leave the bearings in the case and press the new gear in.  Works a charm.  Glad to see the new machine is getting closer.

IP Logged

RocketManRC
Private

Here's to summer!

Bedford NS
Reply #23 - Feb 4th, 2013 at 5:42pm

You would almost think I knew what I was doing Joe  Grin

Rick MacDonald

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print