Winter 20/21 Project (Read 11237 times)
C-GARL
Private

ASRCM Forum User

Halifax West
Winter 20/21 Project
Dec 22nd, 2020 at 10:54am

Good day everyone.  Smiley
It has been a long time since I posted anything on my good old flying club site.
Not much was happening due to El Corona, COVID-19. So, I decided to start a new project but first I had to build it a hangar.  Wink Just a small 24’x24’ with 10’ ceiling to ensure the tail would fit in.  Smiley
I mentioned to my lovely wife my new airplane project and she was all in and happy for me.  Shocked Problem was the questions I got when building material started to show up in the driveway.  Huh So, no longer a hangar but a garage for the car, camper trailer and RC cargo trailer.  Sad
So, here below picture is the start of a new toy. For the moment, I will call this the El Second Wave 21 (ESW21).  Huh  See if you can tell what it will be. Just a small hint, Black Friday.  Lips Sealed
Stay tuned for more pics and update as I progress with the construction.

ESW21.jpg (436 KB | 241 )
ESW21.jpg

IP Logged

FLC astroflyer
Private

MULLIGAN driver

Milford, N.S.
Re: Winter 20/21 Project
Reply #1 - Dec 23rd, 2020 at 5:45pm

Well, it's gonna have two large fans so I'm guessing f-18  If that doesn't work F-15!   

Everything looks straight so far. 

we want more photos!

OLDEST AL the walking spellchecker

IP Logged

C-GARL
Private

ASRCM Forum User

Halifax West
Reply #2 - Dec 30th, 2020 at 3:22pm

Well, Al, wrong of the model type. Cry
Hint #2: Feb 1959 Undecided
I was going to put in two 90mm fans but turns out two 70mm units will do the job as seen on the E-FLITE SU-30. so, placed to order and now awaiting for the parts. them back order stuff. Cry Cry Cry well, good thing I have salted caramel Crown Royal to pass the time Tongue
here are more picture of the plane.
slow progress but with COVID-19, who needs to rush anything.
so, in order to ensure trust would be strait out I had to replace F9 with F9. as you can see, with F9 the trust pipe would have pointing up. I will be adding two tail pipe make of foam with the pipe reducing from 70mm at the fan to 60mm at the end of the tail pipe.
I will ensure the intake is somewhat larger by squaring off the opening.

my wife came down the work shop this morning to check on the progress.
first thing she said to me was nice looking boat.  Huh I had to remind her I am building a plane.  Wink

F9_replace_with_F8.jpg (282 KB | 205 )
F9_replace_with_F8.jpg
rear_end.jpg (311 KB | 188 )
rear_end.jpg
front_end.jpg (385 KB | 195 )
front_end.jpg

IP Logged

Glen

Sackville N.S.
Reply #3 - Dec 30th, 2020 at 8:44pm

Looks awfully avro-ish to me.

IP Logged

Bill
YaBB Newbies

ASRCM Forum member!

Bedford, NS
Reply #4 - Dec 30th, 2020 at 9:38pm

...silent night, holy night, it's a blooming Arrow..!!!

Bill

Bill

IP Logged

C-GARL
Private

ASRCM Forum User

Halifax West
Reply #5 - Dec 31st, 2020 at 8:59am

Correct, it is the Avro Arrow from Mark Demonte.
he designed the plane as a pusher.
WS 50"
length 72"
Fan 70mm 12 blade
motor 2680-1850Kv

IP Logged

Bill
YaBB Newbies

ASRCM Forum member!

Bedford, NS
Reply #6 - Dec 31st, 2020 at 2:46pm

Well, you certainly got my attention..!

Good luck on the build, we will be watching ....and Yes, that was a very very black Friday back in '59 when Dief, the Chief blew up the Arrow program ..!

Bill

IP Logged

C-GARL
Private

ASRCM Forum User

Halifax West
Reply #7 - Jan 8th, 2021 at 12:20pm

got my new tool to help with building my planes.
still require sheet metal plate but I will have to wait for Trump to be in jail  Shocked and Covid-19 to be under control.  Wink
these will come real handy when I start wing construction.  Smiley

magnets.jpg (404 KB | 210 )
magnets.jpg

IP Logged

Bill
YaBB Newbies

ASRCM Forum member!

Bedford, NS
Reply #8 - Jan 8th, 2021 at 6:37pm

Wow..100 beauties...! 
Trying to imagine the shipping weight & cost.. don't get on the wrong side of those guys, might be impossible to get unstuck....hope you have no 'stainless pins in you. And don't get near them with a pacemaker... Grin Grin

Joking aside ...should make for excellent alignment.

Bill

IP Logged

C-GARL
Private

ASRCM Forum User

Halifax West
Reply #9 - Jan 9th, 2021 at 11:18am

Lol. Not to worry. Smiley
Free shipping on amazone body. $70.00. Wink

IP Logged

C-GARL
Private

ASRCM Forum User

Halifax West
Reply #10 - Jan 19th, 2021 at 1:41pm

Got some small progress done on the bird.
front end is shaping up a little. nose cone will be one of the last step.
hatch will be held in place with two small magnet (not the ones I just got).
the plan calls for a #10 SIG canopy, I have a #10 Great Plane one, should do the job just fine.
note the air intakes. Had to fill in behind the cockpit as the former was laser cut to 85mm. it will be squared off as detailed by the lines (if they can be seen). The opening area will be big enough to accommodate twin 70mm EDF.
Not closing the top of the fuse until the retracts are installed. found what seemed to be appropriate in Horizon Hobby. Took another look at them this morning and boom, gone, nothing that I could use.
had in mind the 25-40 size or 60-120 size with oleo.
accepting any recommendation on what retracts I could use.
every thing gets on the scale. my wife ask where her scale was and I replied, with a smile, crushed by a plane honey. slept on the sofa that night. current weight is 539 grams, 1.188 Lbs for the baby boomers.

hatch.jpg (253 KB | 188 )
hatch.jpg
nose.jpg (310 KB | 199 )
nose.jpg
Scale.jpg (312 KB | 188 )
Scale.jpg

IP Logged

FLC astroflyer
Private

MULLIGAN driver

Milford, N.S.
Reply #11 - Feb 8th, 2021 at 2:43pm

Looking pretty nice Alain!

OLDEST AL the walking spellchecker

IP Logged

C-GARL
Private

ASRCM Forum User

Halifax West
Reply #12 - Feb 24th, 2021 at 2:18pm

Thanks Al, it look almost as good as me.   Wink

Well, it has been a while since I updated the progress. Don’t blame me, it is my boss fault, he keeps giving me work to do. I told him to slow down so I can work on my plane........hope I still get paid next week.  Undecided

More modification to the build from the original plan.  Shocked
Decided to make one big hatch to open up the inside. I used R1 to make the two middle ribs, remove R2 and use R3 to make the outside walls of the hatch. Introduced some spars to solidify everything and voila. The Fin is not yet glued as I will soon start the rudder. One rudder is done and set in place I will be in a better situation to glue the fin properly.
I am using the aluminum tubing from an old car snow brush. Whit not, recycling is always a good idea.

Still waiting for the wood and EDF units I order by on xmas eve from G.H.
Don’t know what happen but I logged into AliExpress for the first time and ordered tricycle retracts and oleo. Hope that crap will be good stuff.  Undecided Undecided Undecided Undecided
As for the battery compartment, it will have to be done during CG process and before the covering is applied.  Wink Smiley Smiley Smiley

Main_Hatch_removed_.jpg (392 KB | 186 )
Main_Hatch_removed_.jpg
R3_and_wingtube.jpg (316 KB | 182 )
R3_and_wingtube.jpg

IP Logged

C-GARL
Private

ASRCM Forum User

Halifax West
Reply #13 - Mar 2nd, 2021 at 5:01pm

Spring is not coming fast enough to melt the snow. so, me wife an I cam up with a plane. it work well but not fast enough for spring to show up.
progress on the plane. it looks more like a plane the a boat my wife said. I'll keep her after all. Kiss
left wing construction and set up on the fuse for a quick look. I will definitely require a wing tube.  Wink
retracts and oleo on the way in from AliExpress. I may have time to retire before they come in. EDF was ordered back xmas eve and i thing they will be here just before it is time for me to move into a senior home.  Grin Grin Grin Grin
got to love those back order stuff.
Happy March 2021 everyone.  Roll Eyes

starting_the_wings.jpg (420 KB | 173 )
starting_the_wings.jpg
using_magnets.jpg (343 KB | 178 )
using_magnets.jpg

IP Logged

C-GARL
Private

ASRCM Forum User

Halifax West
Reply #14 - Mar 27th, 2021 at 5:50pm

Good day guys. Long time no post but i was out of comission due to a small slip on the ice. Concossion and Fractured T3 & T4 got me to stay away from the project. Always look on the bright side. While in ER, 4 hot looking nurse took my pants off and my wife was smilling. 🤣

So, my retrack from CCP came in and not too bad either. 2 sets of 169mm long oleo are also looking goodmy two 70mm EDF and motors also came in. Those eflight EDF units don't seem to be the greatest ting since slice bread. They are the same as found in the EFLIGHT SU-30. Time will tell.

So, stay tuned (for newfie bullet, stay off the beer) for more pics and info as i should ease my way back to the shop. That is as lonf as my loving lady does not notice me being gone.

Linette mentioned this morning i started glowing in the dark. Too many X-ray session i think.  Grin Grin Grin Cheesy Cheesy Embarrassed

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print