Help - Eyeglasses (Read 5591 times)
Coyote
YaBB Newbies

ASRCM Forum User

Dartmouth / Cole Harbour
Help - Eyeglasses
Mar 30th, 2016 at 2:40pm

Ok this for those folks who wear eye glasses at the field -

I will shortly be replacing my Progressive eyeglasses and the ones I currently have, have magnetic clips for sun glasses attachments (which I tend to lose once in a while or break)

I'm also looking at what they call the Transitional lenses where the eyeglasses go dark when it's sunny outside and go clear once inside or reduced sunlight - so no need for magnetic sun clips $69 a pop

Any of you have those transitional lenses? Do they work? Worth the extra $50?

Tks

-----------------------------------------------------
Marc "Coyote" Cayouette
Shearwater RC Flyers
Halifax Electric Flyers Association (HEFA)
MAAC #35128
DX8
IP Logged

FLC astroflyer
Private

MULLIGAN driver

Milford, N.S.
Re: Help - Eyeglasses
Reply #1 - Mar 30th, 2016 at 5:54pm

I have had them in the past and personally found they didn't get as dark outside as I would have liked.  Other than that they did work.

I currently have the same system you had, magnetic clip that attaches quickly.  I"m very pleased with those.  In fact I have an eye check and new glasses coming up on Friday and will probably stay with the magnetic clip on style.

Only problem I've had with this last setup is the polarization of the sunglasses.  Cannot see the tablet on my camera drone when shooting due to the polarization.  Have to fly with the sunglasses removed.

OLDEST AL the walking spellchecker

IP Logged

Newfie Bullet
Private

ASRCM Forum User

Reply #2 - Mar 30th, 2016 at 6:04pm

I have transitions and I find them dark. Even on cloudy days they get dark as it is done by uv rays,
Craig

IP Logged

Coyote
YaBB Newbies

ASRCM Forum User

Dartmouth / Cole Harbour
Reply #3 - Mar 30th, 2016 at 7:10pm

Tks guys.  I was not aware they would get dark on cloudy days

Aside from my tablet, polarized glasses also an issue when using truck's backup camera.

Tks again for your inputs.  I'll likely stay with clips unless dealer will let me get one of each (clips and transition)

Marc "Coyote" Cayouette
Shearwater RC Flyers
MAAC #35128
DX8
IP Logged

Coyote
YaBB Newbies

ASRCM Forum User

Dartmouth / Cole Harbour
Reply #4 - Apr 1st, 2016 at 7:26pm

Thanks for all the responses

Since I was buying two pairs, I decided to buy a pair of each. Interesting - after doing some research here's what I found (may help some of you) -

Two pairs at Vogue Optical - For progressive lenses with clips (and frames) - $899 under buy one get one free. UV transition would be additional $125 per eyeglasses

Two pairs at Costco - For progressive lenses with clips (and frames) - $899 and price includes one of them w UV transition along w clip (in car driving)

Two pairs at Family Focus - For progressive lenses with clips (and frames) - $1200 - does not include UV transition

Two pairs at Wall mart - For progressive lenses with clips (and frames) - $700 - does not include UV transition - CHEAPEST PRICE

Obviously no taxes since medical purchase

PS: I guess I can't use eyeglasses as my excuse if I bury an RC plane in the ground  Cool

Marc "Coyote" Cayouette
Shearwater RC Flyers
MAAC #35128
DX8
IP Logged

FLC astroflyer
Private

MULLIGAN driver

Milford, N.S.
Reply #5 - Apr 1st, 2016 at 7:38pm

hmm..pricey.

Got mine at vogue optical today. Two pairs, one sunglasses, the other clear.  Anti scratch coating.  Opted not to get anti glare.  The sunglasses are tinted, and don't change.

Total cost 371.70 for the two pairs.  I happened to pick a style that was on sale so that helped.  Ten percent off for seniors also helped.

Interestingly did some research and the two pairs the same configuration as above online was $128.90. (Two pair online special that ends today, probably say the same if I went there tomorrow)  Even without the two pair special it was only about 90 bucks for the one pair. It's almost worth getting them as well just to compare. Several friends and family members swear by the online glasses.  I think it was a marketplace special I saw that said they were equal, and my friend Rob calls this the "warm and fuzzy" feeling when you go for the dealer stuff in a car dealership or today at vogue.  He may well be right about that.  LOL

OLDEST AL the walking spellchecker

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print