ASRCM
  Welcome to ASRCM's Forum!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister Windy Weather Milford 102 Cam  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
2016 Annual Porters Lake Winter Ice Fly (Read 5390 times)
CF Av8or
YaBB Newbies

ASRCM Forum User

East Lawrencetown
2016 Annual Porters Lake Winter Ice Fly
Jan 28th, 2016 at 9:10am

Fellow Flyers,

Mary and I are once again hosting our annual Porters Lake Winter Ice Fly in front of our home on the shores of Porters Lake.

All are welcome to come and enjoy a day of flying, socializing and feasting. Check out the poster for details.

Hope to see you there!

Ice_Fly_Reduced.jpg (79 KB | 277 )
Ice_Fly_Reduced.jpg

IP Logged

CF Av8or
YaBB Newbies

ASRCM Forum User

East Lawrencetown
Re: 2016 Annual Porters Lake Winter Ice Fly
Reply #1 - Feb 13th, 2016 at 8:50am

I am officially calling the Ice Fly a go for Saturday 20 Feb 2016, with a back up of Sunday 21 Feb.

This weekend is a bust weather-wise and ice condition-wise (too much drifted snow). The weekend of the 20th is the my last opportunity to host the event this winter, so it's do or die.

Mark your calendars!!

Vic

IP Logged

CF Av8or
YaBB Newbies

ASRCM Forum User

East Lawrencetown
Reply #2 - Feb 18th, 2016 at 7:30am

Ice Fly Update:

Looks like we might have a chance, weather-wise this weekend! Saturday is looking to have light winds, although possible showers - which hopefully will hold off until later in the day. Sunday is calling for rain so far.

The ice surface looks pretty good from my living room window at the moment. I'll be checking it thoroughly later.

Standby for further updates...

Vic

IP Logged

CF Av8or
YaBB Newbies

ASRCM Forum User

East Lawrencetown
Reply #3 - Feb 19th, 2016 at 11:34am

2016 Porters Lake Ice Fly is a (tentative) GO for tomorrow, Saturday 20 Feb

The weather is forecast to be good for flying tomorrow - light winds to start in the morning, increasing later in the afternoon, sunny, with an afternoon high of +3 deg C. The rain showers/flurries are not expected to start until late afternoon. Perfect.

The ice surface is also perfect. No snow, but a little bumpy in areas from the previous snows , but certainly manageable for take-offs and landings.

On the down side, there is open water to the east of the bay area in which we do our flying, but this should not be a factor, unless you intend fly to your aircraft over the open water, far from the normal flying area. There is solid ice all the way out to the island and well to the south. The ice thickness is the only thing that I am concerned about at the moment.

Safe minimum ice thickness for ice-fishing is considered to be 4", and ice that is 2" or less is considered unsafe to walk on. I measured the ice this morning in a number of areas and I saw ice thicknesses up to 7", but as little as 3" in some darker coloured areas. The high today is going to be 0 deg and the overnight low tonight -4 deg, which means there should not be any lessening of the ice thickness and possibly some thickening. My intention is to measure the ice again first thing tomorrow morning.

As Sunday is not going to be good weather-wise, tomorrow is my first and last chance to host the event. I'm keen to see this go, as I know many of you are keen on attending, but I don't want to put anyone at risk. Having said that, Mary is going ahead with the food prep (pulled pork sandwiches and yummy desserts) and I will have everything set to go.

I will post on the forum first thing after I measure the ice again. Come on out tomorrow morning anyway and if we decide the ice is not safe enough, we can do some hangar talk over coffee and hot chocolate - and it's never too early for dessert!

IP Logged

CF Av8or
YaBB Newbies

ASRCM Forum User

East Lawrencetown
Reply #4 - Feb 19th, 2016 at 11:35am

Further to my last:

I'll be up at 7 am to measure the ice. The wind conditions will be best early in the morning, and assuming good ice thickness, I would say start is time any time after 0800. Even if we don't fly, all are welcome to come and socialize.

The address is 2155 Crowell Rd, East Lawrencetown. It is the second left past Lawrencetown Beach if you are coming from Cole Harbour on Hwy 207 (Lawrencetown Rd). Or, if you are coming via the 107 Hwy, take exit 19, then south on West Porters Lake Rd, which turns into Crowell Rd. Look for the red, green and yellow wind sock at the side of the road. If you have any questions, call 827-3039.

Bring warm clothes, a lawn chair and ice-cleats if you have them. Lunch (pulled pork sandwiches), drinks and dessert will be provided. The house will be open to warm up in, charge batteries, and talk shop.

Hope to see everyone there!

Vic

IP Logged

CF Av8or
YaBB Newbies

ASRCM Forum User

East Lawrencetown
Reply #5 - Feb 20th, 2016 at 7:37am

We are GO for Ice Fly 2016!!!

Just measured the ice and it is safe. Thickness is 7 inches near the shore, with a minimum thickness beyond shore of 4 inches. It is strong clear ice, and as such meets the minimum safety standards - that is, as long as nobody decides they want to drive their car onto the ice to chase their plane!

Bring your ice cleat (or skates, for that matter) as, as the surface very smooth and slippery. Also, bring a coffee cup if you are a coffee or tea drinker, as we seem to be short of styrofoam cups.

There is not a breath of wind and the sun is a-risin'.

See you on the ice!!

Vic

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print